Kindness

Paul Castro said every random act helps. #RAKDavid

“All of those things are making the world better. And those are the things that give us the energy and the strength to face the next day. It is impossible to explain to anyone what it’s like to lose a child. I don’t know where we would be without the support of our friends and family, and really, strangers.”

‘Love is greater than hate’ | David Castro’s father calls for kindness after deadly road rage shooting

Here are a few RAKs:

• I spread the word about #RAKDavid at the Memorial Villages Farmers Market as I introduced Stephanie to my Plant-it-Forward farmer and other entrepreneurs . Met her at a UNICEF CFCI assessment workshop she was facilitating where safety was one of the questions.  Met a family with their young daughter moving back to Annapolis shared the message with their father.
  • I picked up a dog mess that was left on a pathway I walk daily. In the past I went by angry, especially when I almost stepped in it. I shared this idea with a teenager who was helping her little brother explore tadpoles. Said maybe they didn’t have a bag as I have experienced that problem or didn’t realize their dog went. As we chatted, she said she was interested in scaling the acts of kindness. Said she was in the Red Cross Club at Memorial High School where my grandson attends and I graduated. I said I would help. Maybe this can help other students be the best dude around and aspire to be like David.
  • Thank you Paul for inspiring me to make the world a better place.  Watching the launch today inspired me to call a teacher I know about a project Idea that connects to our passions. Hoping that chatting can help her through a difficult time. That was my RAK, to take time to see how she was doing and share an idea. She is now going to do the same thing and call another teacher to help her. We chatted about suggesting to Bezos to take a teacher up in the Blue Origin.  Amazon is already one of their school partners with the https://www.amazonfutureengineer.com/ program. Who knows, maybe a teacher at WHS could be the one to go and take music memories of David.
  • What I know I can do is scale my work from decades ago with friends who are still scaling education with Random Hacks of Kindness, Jr. and The Last Mile Education Fund.

I am on the watch to give a helping hand when I can and share my ideas. And hope David’s memory grows kindness.

Searched the word “KINDNESS” on Ted.com and this 2009 talk was first. Researched Jonathan Zittrain and discovered he is a professor at Harvard. This is where one of our NCWIT AiC winners is going to go. Then saw he is looking for a research assistant. What a connection to make. The award application asks “Describe a problem that you would like TO SOLVE using technology and explain HOW you would solve it.” I would like to add:

• “How can you spread kindness using technology?
  • How can technology help prevent road rage?
  • How can you help teachers deal with anger management in the classroom?

Please help me answer my questions as a computer science teacher since 1985 who had an Internet connection in her classroom since the beginning. The administration did not trust teachers to have a telephone in their classroom. I asked for an Internet connection and modem to hook up to an Apple IIE. So I got a telephone in my classroom and teachers asked me how I got one when they didn’t have one.

• Do grades and testing build the empathy need to be kind?
  • Is the competitiveness of classroom increasing anger for those being left behind?
  • How can the competitiveness of sports build kindness?
  • Does it need to be a priority for the current 20th century school systems need to finally make that paradigm shift to the 21st? That is what Paul is building through his work.
  • Are schools teaching the history of kindness?

My goal is to learn to be a better listen!  Sit on a bench and offer RAKs as needed.  To listen to the benches in social media.

Here is one of my brainstorms for #RAKDavid, but never felt right to add so storing here as a way to share with those who build future engineers.

Watching the launch today inspired me to call a teacher I know about a project Idea that connects to our passions. Hoping that chatting can help her through a difficult time. That was my RAK, to take time to share an idea and she is now going to do the same thing . We chatted about suggesting to Bezos to take a teacher up in the Blue Origin.  Amazon is already a partner with the https://www.amazonfutureengineer.com/middle-high-school program in their schools.

What do you think?  Testosterone vs Oxycontin challenge?