My quest for knowledge and creation of CCO‘s in every school district. A person to inspire our students to be champions. Like these amazing TED Residents. As they have the power of communication. The big question? Could it be, “How do you spend most your time? With living things or dead things?” Have we become a nation of the Walking Dead, choosing screen time over F2F time? Is creating a culture of kindness the focus in school policy? Or competition for a thing called a grade?
I watch these as a motivator to do my breathing exercises “every” morning. Love that TED picks out something for me. Used to add at the bottom, but Richardo’s TED talk moved to the top. As he is saying the same thing I have for decades. In fact, each TED talk connects to that theme.
- Richardo Semier: How to run a company with (almost) no rules. Leap of Faith in loosing control. 3 Whys in a row – leaving with the seed. What 4? A much wiser future … radical idea. Wisdom in education – ideas have come. Asking extraordinary questions. So, whose classroom, school, district is doing this? What if we all did?
- Sugata Mitra: Kids can teach themselves – It had to be in groups – Can learn by observing. Me: Do we need smart boards or do we need holes in the wall? Start with these in hallways by restrooms and cafeterias. Answer question, Can Kids teach themselves to code? Next up Build a school in the cloud.
- Jill Tarter: SETI Search – As We Study
- Michelle Koa: Healing Power of Reading – June 10 2019 preparing for presentation at the WeTeachCS Summit using Joy
- Rocks – Karen (my name cool) Lloyd: Mysterious Microbes: since interested in my microbes watching which led to her deep sea mystery time in the ocean. Need to get to beach. Both lead to thinking questions and wanting to do more research. What we want to happen with our children.
- Truth vs Fiction – why teaching decision making should be a priority in the classroom. Are classrooms run algorithmic-ally? There are pros and cons with everything. Take fossil fuel vs alternative fuel … ask how is the energy stored? Read this article about cost of alternative fuels. We need more research brains for our future environment and that starts in today’s classrooms.
As they grow, need to organize around topics. Food I am thinking is the most important. Missing ingredient is people doers. Champions of Change.
Got a Wicked Problems – Heidi Williams used in her CS presentation at ISTE.
- What followed was the Genius of Ants. PATTERNS IS THE MESSAGE.
- How Turn Group of strangers into a Team – Together is better!
- Say your truths and seek them in others – Time, Listen, Love!
- Places Scientists are not exploring – Shedding Light before it is too late
- Beauty in Impection – Space, Connections in the Unknown
- Spell Binding Art of Human Anatomy
- Oliver Sacks: What hallucination reveals about our minds Visual Cells – How the brain works
- Adam Grant:Original thinkers – Best way to improve the world around us – procrastinate
- Scott McCloud: The Visual Magic of Comics – Searched “Early Childhood Technology” as my friend is moving to Boston to take a job at Tuff’s managing a course which is a must for our future. An aspirations.org winner is creating comics at the University of Houston about brain innovations. My quest – connect these two educators.
- Mel Robbins: How to Stop screwing yourself – activation energy – get out of your head – get outside – 5 second rule or idea is killed. Me summary: How to apply Einsteins quote – Inspiration vs Perspiration. Go do it:open your mouth. Me: I do it but am called a busy buddy. Yes I know, Finished the ISTE TedX course and do that Ted Talk. Looked up busy buddy and what did I find buy my pet toys. Bigger question is time, as you see, I got this puppy and want to blow the bloody doors off … So I got a trainer as just don’t know what toys work, what I am doing wrong, why …
- Sal Khan: Let’s use video to reinvent education – Student:ValueTime Ratio, motivation:badges – Has tracking over time and tracks teacher feedback – for mentor tutoring volunteer time . A vision of the future in education – Bill Gates This was 2011, what has changed; me I need to check. Then TED choose to play Ken Robinson’s talk on creativity, which followed with lots more on education. So, when is the system going to be flipped? Cyber Security is safe, but computer science and computational thinking. Does this scare you? So, lets be in the safe zone to start.
- Dan Ariely: Why we do the things we do – Evaluation, Ownership – Efficiency in the knowledge economy – Creation, challenges
- Elif Shafak:The revolutionary power of diverse thought – Loved the ending, the main homeland is storyland. Would love to see students watch this then write about their thoughts. And post those in a digital portfolio which can be their online journal. I have been doing this for 30 years and tried to bring in emotional intelligence in my computer science classes. If posting conversations and of kindness thoughts were part of school accountability maybe we might turn negative emotions to positive. Time is the main roadblock, lets take that down so we can grow the fruits and tastes of words in schools. Posted Aug 2019.
- History of World in 18 minutes – Big History is a must HS course!! Integrates humanities, science and technology in a powerful story for our future. Another reason all students need an opportunity to study computer science. A reason the Carnegie Unit system of bell-ringing 5 day classrooms must go away. They need to be replaced by what some schools are doing, integrated learning labs. We need aspirations and innovative minds.
- Love no matter what – Kindness, differences, makes me cry – on being a parent … to all? I wonder why schools are not open doors of kindness.
- Why you should care – Health – Looked up volunteering after WISE conversations with Hiking Hunnies yesterday. We talked about the inequity of time in classrooms for nature education outdoors. This talk said structural change is needed. Same with education. The Carnegie Unit Standards education model takes way from integrated learning time that includes staying healthy.
- How to speak so people want to listen. – Stop me if I do this: Gossip, judging, negativity, complaining, excuses, lying, dogmatism.
- Institutions vs collaboration – we might as well as get good at it – networks
- The era of open innovation – Created by consumers through Internet and organization w/o …
- The new power of collaboration – … how can students change their boring classrooms?
- Past, present and future of nicotine addiction – 10 seconds, 90% started as kids, experimenting with risky behavior, a single policy to impact change.
The Brain: Processing information (figured better start ordering by topic so I can find again)
- Conscious reality – properties of the brain:try the hand experiment
- My stoke of insight – Which would you choose? Which do you choose and when? Peace ….
- Brain Changing benefit of exercise – Medicare for All? What about free prevention? My first recommendation – is this cool how easy. Why did it take me so long to figure this out?
- How to prevent Alzheimers. – Keep learning … Still Alice
- How to prepare for Alzheimers. Do yoga and exercises for balance. Be Kind.
- Never Give Up – Swimmer
- Teens and Risk – Science Fair … research on Executive Function
- How not to be ignorant about the world – Gapminder – How world is organized by income – Do you know the facts?
- Brain Data:
Aging – output from life
- We can avoid aging – Engineering the body – “If think I am wrong – why?”
- Show me the data – take the time to know your own body and your child’s – what does test data tell?
Our Environment – the good, bad and ugly output – feedback: solutions can be found in nature.
- Can seaweed curb global warming? – An ambassador for seaweed bringing good for thought
- Super Charged Plants
- Chemical Scum – Problem fixing and History
- The cosmic war – Creating is innate – Creating Knowledge – Who controls that knowledge? I obverse that my grandsons are controlled by their online games. Why are they so entranced?
- Computational Biological energy
- How Bacteria Talk – The engine that drives scientific research are the young. Comment: The stressors were diet, dysbiosis, and poor sleep because of environment stress like excess of EM radiation, light, and sound in my sleeping space.
- Suburban sprawl – We must build community gardens in community spaces!
- Transportation and biology – space in arteries utilized – solutions 3D and flying cars
- Principles for building cities – our behavior drives the problem, planners and politicians need to stop sprawl – need interaction.
- Creative ways to get schools to thrive – Shorter lesson plans … dance – must teach coping skills
- Emotional support for teachers – makes me cry
- Poetry for hope … to believe – freedom, the infinite thread that connects
- Winning is does not always equal success … grades, listening, being a role model
Time – essential input
- How to better design technology – Time well spent – consumer have the control
- Start-up in the White House – Searched “reliability” as was frustrated about those who say “Sorry, don’t have the time and other excuses for not taking action.”
- Internet will transform government – Time for student voice in schools. Social scientists who studies arguing. One programmer decided Version Control System needed to change. What is history in the classroom without studying Torvalds.
- Gray Rhino – ignoring problems … like classroom time
- A digital country Estonia – trust, data, efficiency
Profiles – feedback from others