Ted Talks

My quest for knowledge and creation of CCO‘s in every school district. A person to inspire our students to be champions. Like these amazing TED Residents.  As they have the power of communication. The big question?  Could it be, “How do you spend most your time? With living things or dead things?”  Have we become a nation of the Walking Dead, choosing screen time over F2F time? Is creating a culture of kindness the focus in school policy?  Or competition for a thing called a grade?

I watch these as a motivator to do my breathing exercises “every” morning.  Love that TED picks out something for me.  Used to add at the bottom, but Richardo’s TED talk moved to the top.  As he is saying the same thing I have for decades.  In fact, each TED talk connects to that theme.

April 2020 watched a talk about the military and posted this: So … now we have a war on COVID19. Scientists are collaborating not fighting. Just think if 15 years ago we put money into building scientific brains that we put into building the military. That is called the classroom teacher and the “systems administrator” to help with the transition from building knowledge to using knowledge. Bill Gates has a 2015 TED talk about viruses and another 2020 conversation that has ideas, if only we had all youth build on them. Sonia Shah also did a conversation with Chris about her book “Pandemic.” Now that parents are home-schooling and our economy is suffering, maybe this will change how we implement education. At least nature has won a clean air battle, hoping that is sustained. So many positives that die over time. I keep listening to TED talks looking for the tiny tweak that I can do. Did not find it in this talk. As a retired computer science teacher, I will keep searching and doing what I can to build research brains. That is collecting data and trying to debug the education system. 

As they grow, need to organize around topics.   Food I am thinking is the most important. Missing ingredient is people doers. Champions of Change.

Got a Wicked Problems – Heidi Williams used in her CS presentation at ISTE.

1. What followed was the Genius of Ants. PATTERNS IS THE MESSAGE.
    2. How Turn Group of strangers into a Team – Together is better!
    3. Say your truths and seek them in others – Time, Listen, Love!
    4. Places Scientists are not exploring – Shedding Light before it is too late
    5.  Beauty in Impection –  Space, Connections in the Unknown
    6. Spell Binding Art of Human Anatomy
    7. Oliver Sacks: What hallucination reveals about our minds Visual Cells – How the brain works
    8. Adam Grant:Original thinkers – Best way to improve the world around us – procrastinate
    9. Scott McCloud: The Visual Magic of Comics – Searched “Early Childhood Technology” as my friend is moving to Boston to take a job at Tuff’s managing a course which is a must for our future. An aspirations.org winner is creating comics at the University of Houston about brain innovations. My quest – connect these two educators.
    10. Mel Robbins: How to Stop screwing yourselfactivation energy – get out of your head – get outside – 5 second rule or idea is killed.  Me summary: How to apply Einsteins quote – Inspiration vs Perspiration.  Go do it:open your mouth. Me: I do it but am called a busy buddy. Yes I know, Finished the ISTE TedX course and do that Ted Talk. Looked up busy buddy and what did I find buy my pet toys. Bigger question is time, as you see, I got this puppy and want to blow the bloody doors off … So I got a trainer as just don’t know what toys work, what I am doing wrong, why …
    11. Sal Khan: Let’s use video to reinvent education – Student:ValueTime Ratio, motivation:badges – Has tracking over time and tracks teacher feedback – for mentor tutoring volunteer time .  A vision of the future in education – Bill Gates This was 2011, what has changed; me I need to check. Then TED choose to play Ken Robinson’s talk on creativity, which followed with lots more on education. So, when is the system going to be flipped?  Cyber Security is safe, but computer science and computational thinking. Does this scare you?  So, lets be in the safe zone to start.
    12. Dan Ariely: Why we do the things we do – Evaluation, Ownership – Efficiency in the knowledge economy – Creation, challenges
    13. Elif Shafak:The revolutionary power of diverse thought – Loved the ending, the main homeland is storyland. Would love to see students watch this then write about their thoughts. And post those in a digital portfolio which can be their online journal. I have been doing this for 30 years and tried to bring in emotional intelligence in my computer science classes. If posting conversations and of kindness thoughts were part of school accountability maybe we might turn negative emotions to positive. Time is the main roadblock, lets take that down so we can grow the fruits and tastes of words in schools. Posted Aug 2019.
    14. History of World in 18 minutesBig History is a must HS course!! Integrates humanities, science and technology in a powerful story for our future. Another reason all students need an opportunity to study computer science. A reason the Carnegie Unit system of bell-ringing 5 day classrooms must go away. They need to be replaced by what some schools are doing, integrated learning labs. We need aspirations and innovative minds.
    15.  Love no matter what – Kindness, differences, makes me cry – on being a parent … to all?  I wonder why schools are not open doors of kindness.
    16. Why you should care – Health – Looked up volunteering after WISE conversations with Hiking Hunnies yesterday.  We talked about the inequity of time in classrooms for nature education outdoors.  This talk said structural change is needed.  Same with education. The Carnegie Unit Standards education model takes way from integrated learning time that includes staying healthy.
    17. How to speak so people want to listen. – Stop me if I do this:  Gossip, judging, negativity, complaining, excuses, lying, dogmatism.
    18. Institutions vs collaboration – we might as well as get good at it – networks
    19. The era of open innovation –  Created by consumers through Internet and organization w/o …
    20. The new power of collaboration – … how can students change their boring classrooms?
    21. Past, present and future of nicotine addiction – 10 seconds, 90% started as kids, experimenting with risky behavior, a single policy to impact change.

August 2020 – To exponentially scale reinventing the education system taking the time to recommend talks, as just posting a list of not getting anywhere.  Still posting for my reference, but adding this to action. See www.ted.com/profiles/3017139 for my past recommendations.

1. Patents and Quality Control

The Brain: Processing information (figured better start ordering by topic so I can find again)

Aging – output from life

Emotional Health

Our Environment – the good, bad and ugly output – feedback: solutions can be found in nature.

Classroom Environment

Time – essential input

Profiles – feedback from others