Terrapin Logo Maker Space Bundle Training 9/11/2018
The Houston Parks Department took major steps in supporting computer science and computational thinking for low-income families in the Houston, Texas area. HPARD received a Child Care Quality Improvement funds to purchase resources for their makerspaces that focused on computer science and computational thinking.
These resources included the Terrapin’s Makerspace Bundle, which includes their complete line of robots, the new Easi-Scope Digital Microscope and all the materials you need to fully utilize them. I spearheaded day one of the training. The next two days included Sphero Kits and LittleBit Kits.LittleBits training was coordinated by Marcie Hebert
Senior Learning Leader, marcie @ eduscape.com supported by Carrena Nuzez email@example.com Regional Education Manager.
These bundles will be administered to over 30 low-income locations on school campuses, child care agencies, and community centers throughout the Houston area. This grant also provided teachers with professional development provided by Terrapin that included the continuum of learning that can occur with these products.
- Houston Parks & Recreation Department – Recreation & Wellness Division
- Community Center After School Programs. – www.houstonparks.org
- Maria Vilchez and Twonda Thompson | | Recreation and Wellness Building |
6200 Wheeler; Houston, Texas | 832.395.7294
- Training provided by Karen North and Heidi Williams.
- The Bundle:
Creating a spark of curiosity is what maker spaces are about.
Finding what you are good at is what school is about.
Combine both and oh, what a future. Oh, the Places you will go.
-> Pre-survey | -> POST – survey | -> Results
- Introduction | Networking – Binary Bracelets
- Why -> How -> What – Heidi Williams: “No Fear Coding”
- Physical Computing
- Now you need a device…
- Implementation Q&A – Joel Bangilan, Harris County Public Library Youth Services Librarian
- Connections Action Plan Circle
- TIPS – Think, Ink, Pair, share – Quality control between each lesson
- Please share your implementation hints and URL of action
- HINT with mats – roll up with outside facing out so curves to floor.
- Play and pack
LUNCH provided by Code Ninjas – The Knowles franchises.
Training offered due to the support of the Child Care Quality Funds.
- https://www.bee-bot.us/ – Downloads for Blue-Bot, Easi-Scope and InO-Bot
- http://cs4tx.org/ | CS4TX Houston Meetup
The Future … Next steps?