What does a computer do when it executes programs?
- Equity and Diversity – The 2019 state of CS Education
- Join the Code.org TEACHER COMMUNITY and Learn more!!
- Code.org Forum
- Online Self-paced PD for K-5 Teachers
- Sign up for PD at Rice for coding in algebra, science and computer science
- Spring Branch ISD Code Camps
Coding – Programming is a TOOL to help learn a process for solving a problem.
A TOOL to build critical thinking skills using computing resources.
A TOOL for Computational Thinking.
A TOOL to help kids Connect the Dots.
- 6 Fundamental K-8 concepts: sequences, loops, events, functions, variables, conditionals
- CSTA K8 Computer Science Teachers
- K12 CS Framework Coalition
- Texas Alliance for Computer Science Education
- Computer Science Network ISTE
- Game of Real Life – Financial Mentors of America
- Code College Rice Houston
- Google CS
- Eniac Programmers Project – How can this 2014 project be scaled today?
- Boston Public School CS K-12 Pathway
- NGCP – Lessons Learned Webinar
- NGCP mini-grant CS STEM Green Club
- Making it Better– by Jerry Davis Houston City Councilman
- Coding Corner
- A Gentler Introduction to Programming
- Teach Pay Teachers CS Lessons by L.Fleming
- Careers with Code
- Smart Scholar CS Resource Guide
- EdWeb Code – by C. Cheng + M Plunkett 2019 – many still learning
- CrossRoad 2017 – Preparing for tomorrow Panel – Sheena Vaidyanathan and Dan Garcia
- See 2017 updates on Editorial/Policy tab
- Texas Computer Science Standards – TEKS
- H.R. 5031 STEM Education Act – the term “STEM education” means education in the subjects of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, including other academic subjects that build on these disciplines such as computer science. – write to get passed in the senate.
- Texas House Bills which died: (1) HB 3568 – technology applications course allotment (2) HB 3700 – Math and Science credit for CS (3) HB 3816 – grant program for promoting CS certification and professional development for public school teachers.
- 2018 Report – State of CS in US – Texas details included
ARTICLES IN THE NEWS
- Oct – Thinking about reflection-
- Oct – Teaching problem solving with CS history– Friend from the past, Pat Phillips
- May – Why start K-5 CT/CS
- Apr – How to integrate Creative Coding
- Apr – Emily in the Key of Code
- Mar – Code Ninjas Helping Girls enter Tech World
- Mar – Unicorns and CS
- Feb – What is CS + more by Guru Mark Guzdial
- Feb – CS as a foundation for 21st century literacy slide share for SIGCSE
- Feb – The Secret History of Women in Coding – what went wrong?
- Nov – MIT creates college of computing
- Nov – National Tech Center UK
- Oct – Parent Engagement
- Oct – Educate every girl
- Oct – Spring Branch ISD (my district) School zone news -missing CS & CT interwoven
- Oct – Gender Gap continues in education, says Girls Who Code founder
- Oct – RoleModelWhyLearnCS
- Oct – Data Science Need
- Oct – Tech Companies who hire
- Oct – Diversity Tech Time
- Oct – Bootstrap and Accessibility
- Oct – Teaching Technology Ethics
- Oct – Carol Fletcher heading ECEP – what a leader!
- Sep – 44 states implemented CS policy
- Jun – Computing Education Research -State of pre-college education
- Jun – Google Report state of pre-college CS Education
- Jun – The 5th “C” – Computational Thinking
- Apr – AWIS Report on diversity
- Apr – Microsoft Philanthropies – CT is the new basic requirement
- Apr – ISTE, Nasa and coding
- Feb – What are we doing?
- Jan – Grant STEM Teachers – 100Kin10
- Jan – States making CS the Rule
- Jan – Computational Thinking Micro-credentials
- Jan – CT by Digital Promise
- Dec – America’s Lost Einstein’s – Invention and Innovation
- Dec – During CS Ed Week: Computer science is often top of mind for 21st-century educators, but this week, youll likely hear more about it than ever before. With Hour of Code activities ranging from Pre-reader level and beyond, students can do anything from create their own Google logo to their own game. Though many dont realize it, coding is in fact one of the most creative activities a student can do, building something with no limitations but his or her own creativity, writes Deirdre Quarnstrom, general manager of Minecraft Education, in a Microsoft blog.
- Dec – What happens when an algorithm write SF?
- Dec – Fixing Education
- Dec – Holiday gifts to inspire STEM
- Oct – CSForAll Summit Summary
- Oct – CSForAll – Modern Day Space Race
- Oct – Lanch CS – one more vendor …
- Oct – UH to start data center
- Oct – After Harvey – How HISD got back online
- Oct – Ivanka Trump coding with daughter – $500 Million
- Oct – In manufacturing software jobs outpace production jobs
- Sep – 3 Ways to get girls interested in STEM
- Sep – Trump Video on $2 M from White House for CS
- Sep – Code.org announces $3 M partnership
- Sep – CSForAll Address + Obama remarks
- Sep – 73% of Code.org students pass AP Test
- Aug – From Google HR to CS – 20% Time
- Aug – Strategies for CS Inclusion
- Aug – STEM->STEAM->STREAM – great article. But need experts implementors and maintenance crew. Too much for classroom teachers to do effectively.
- Aug – Google Research – Closing the gap
- Aug – Functional CS Literacy needed
- Aug – Women in CS on the Rise? – What can Houston Schools learn?
- Aug – AP CSP Attracts diverse crowd
- Aug – Hidden Figures STEM Initiative
- Aug – Should Kids be taught to think like a robot?
- Jul – CS in Trump era
- Jul – Girls STEM gap persists
- Jun – What CS should a student know before HS
- May – CS Internships
- May – AP CSP Party
- May – Hidden Figures in CS Education
- Apr – Programming as a Way of Thinking
- Apr – State CS Policy update
- Apr – Hadi Started Code.org To Introduce All Students to CS, Especially Girls
- Apr – Learning to Thinking like A computer – w/Shriram
- Mar – 5 Reasons to Get Coding
- Feb – Books to boost understanding of technology and systems
- Jan – Power of CS
- Jan – Trillion $ Opportunity by Hadi
- Dec – Diversity
- Dec – ISTE – Ways to increase creative coding
- Dec – What happened to Obama’s $4 billion for CS?
- Nov – Bridging the CS Education Gap – 5 steps
- Nov – Our City Duty as Techies by Megan Smith, CTO
- Oct – Women in Computing to decline to 22%
- Oct – 3 ways to use Game Based Learning
- Oct – Diversity Gaps in CS
- Oct – Crack the Code
- Oct – Accenture and Crack the Code
- Sep – How to build an inclusive CS Program
- Aug – Will.i.am wants mandatory CS
- Aug – Teach This Skill
- Aug – What’s keeping women out? Need to start mindset in ES – Same with CS confidence.
- Jul – Apps to make coding easy
- Jun – Barbie Game Developer
- Jun – How we lost the open web – Algorithms, Internet Diversity, HQ video
- May – Robot that teaches kids to code
- Apr – Learn to Code : Code to Learn
- Mar – 8 women role models in CS
- Feb – Women Write Better Code – Study suggests. I suggest we need CS project managers to expose more girls to CS, that teach and do K8 outreach. Get out of the mold of a one-size-fits all pay scale for teachers.
- Feb – Breaking the Mold with Go Girls in Utah
- Jan – IT happened – CS For All
- Jan – State of the Union’s Education – “I want to go easy on the traditional list of proposals for the year ahead. I’ve got plenty, from helping students learn to write computer code. The White House is bullish on computer science, but well have to wait to see the specifics of how that takes shape.”
- Jan – State of the Union Address Calls – “for an emphasis on offering every student the hands-on computer science and math classes that make them job-ready on day one.”
- Dec – Tech in Ed Code.org affiliate Profile NY
- Dec – Change the Equation – Counting Computing
- Dec – Misconceptions about CS by Pat Y.
- Jul – Why women in tech came to a ‘Halt’ – Girls want to code! Real issue is exposing girls to CS at a young age through the arts not shoot-em-up games.
- Aug –Digital Divas weave STEM into fashion and dance “At age 14, Katelyn Hutchison earned $10.25 an hour as a junior mentor.” – need to scale this!
- Jul – Most Powerful Video Game of Year – Would you play with your video game hooked son or grandson?
- Jun – What is Code? If you don’t know you need to read this.
- Jun – Debugging drought – Algorithms for Farmers – Start a CS STEM Green Club
- Apr – Why Coding is Your Child’s Key to Unlocking The Future
- Apr – Ken Robinson on Transforming education through imagination and creativity– “Teachers are there to engage and motivate and inspire people.” – Who and what is motivating the teachers? Put education funding there please!
- Apr – Code and the inclusive software quest
- Mar – Right Now add coding to ES Curriculum
- Mar – To Boost Tech Diversity K-12 Schools Need to Teach Computer Science
- Mar – How to Increase Diversity in Tech? Bring CS to Schools
- Mar – BBC Gives $1 million mini-computers so kids can learn to code
- Mar – Obama Has a $100M Plan to Fill the Tech Talent Shortage
- Mar – Apple $50 million for CS Education diversity
- Mar – Why doesn’t every school offer CS?
- Feb – Arkansas requires CS Education and House CS requirement
- Feb – National Core Arts Standards adds computer design
- Jan – To Get Women Into CS, S.Sandberg Launches Lean In Mentorship Network
- Dec – Coding in the Top 10 for schools.
- Dec – Deciphering the Code – why ALL Kids need to learn…
- Dec – “Need subject in school where students can teach themselves.”
- Dec – Students get conversation with Bill Gates
- Dec – White House focuses on CS in Schools
- Dec – This is why kids should learn how to code – from a marketing guy.
- Dec – White House CS Heroes Film Festival
- Nov – When Women stopped Coding
- Nov – Andy the Rover Robot … Next comes Tony the Teacher Robot
- Nov – Amy the Robot Party Scheduler
- Nov – Do you want to Code a Frozen Snowflake?
- Nov – Should we teach CS in ES?
- Nov – Robots that swim through eyeballs – control body robots with code
- Nov – Graphing Calculator used to code when no money for robots. – Did this in 1985 in Consumer Math; must in 2015 require coding calculators in all math classes.
- Oct – Should school mandate Computer-Coding Classes?
- Oct – Could a Robot do your job? … another reason to learn to code.
- Oct – Why coding for all more than a boutique reform
- Sep – How coding increases engagement, creates a purpose for learning.
- Aug- Health Map Algorithm: Ebola and Saving Lives
- Aug- Gender Diversity: Boys love computers as machines, girls see them as tools.
- Aug- Computer Science Education Act
- Aug- Coding in the Classroom
- Jul- Cracking the Code
- Jun- We Can Code IT
- Jun – Google $50 Million to close gender gap
COMPUTER SCIENCE CAREER INFO