To draw, close your eyes and sing. – Pablo Picasso
You can’t have art without resistance in the materials. The computer and its multifarious peripherals are the materials. The code is the art. – British artist William Morris
What is Code?
In the Google CSed Research Report Resnick advocated for a project-oriented approach rather than small puzzles or language-based activities: There are a lot of schools where they do something with coding but it is done very superficially, just learning a few tricks of how to put some blocks together…but not really connecting in a deep way. [CS should not be] just puzzles for kids learning to solve a problem, but a platform for expressing yourself. (Resnick, 2017). There is beauty in the art of data visualization and feeling like flowers blooming. The Data is the new soil.
- Art Lessons Ideas
- Beginning Graphics Lessons
- DrScheme Graphics
- Applying Math Principles to create Graphics
- College Board Article – Supporting Girls in CS by Programming with Graphics
- Applying Math Principals to Create Graphics
- Code Frozen to Draw Snowflakes
- Khan Academy
- Code-Art – competitions for self-reflection
- Algorithm to determine Which Famous Paintings Are The Most ‘Creative’
- Why Arts Educators support computer science
My best computer science students have been musicians. It is not about teaching coding, it is about building the brain for learning. Music is an essential key to hit the right notes in the brain. But that takes passionate people. I just donated to Music and the Brain and hope to bring it to a local low-income school in Houston.
STEAM – STEM AND ART