Brexit

The move of computer science to CTE is like Brexit.  CTE coordinators are making decisions impacting the successful classroom economy that teachers have built over decades.  In this age of AI and Cyber Security needs it is no time to kill the spirit of teachers.  Vicky one of our AiC Teachers of the Year and sponsor of a National AiC winner said this:  “I quit, I quit … I am retiring.”  One of the students in the Girls Who Code Digital Tech Conference asked, “How can we help our teachers keep the course they want to teach?  Seems the CTE coordinators have eliminated CSIII as a choice. To leave no child behind, you first have to leave no teacher behind!

In preparing for a Great Decision discussion on Brexit, I found this:

The questions asked for the discussion are the most important part of driving conversation.  The Girls Who Code organizers of the conference zoomed with me to go over my role.  They surveyed the conference participants and shared those questions. I was able to prepare my answer ahead of time and posted my answers on the post below to save time.

The only thing I know about Brexit is what is on the news, and what my son who lives in London shares.  I just don’t know enough to give my opinion, and so am in total listening mode.  I am relying on the expertise of the Foreign Policy Association who has been doing this for decades: www.fpa.org/great_decisions/

Here are the discussion questions:
  1. Would Britain having success post-Brexit put pressure on the EU and other members that have threatened to leave? Would a disastrous Brexit hurt Europe as a whole?
  2. Should the U.S. prioritize its “special relationship” with the UK over its relationship with the EU?
  3. Should the European Union make an amendment t its founding treaties to make it more difficult for states to exit?
  4. Should there come a time when the UK wants to rejoin the EU, what provisions, if any, should they make upon re-entry? Can the EU risk letting the UK rejoin only for another Brexit to happen in the future?
  5. Do you think Europe is strong when united under the banner of the EU? Can the EU survive post-Merkel?
  6. In the age of social media, how can vital public policy issues be informed by the facts rather than by emotions?

In exploring answers that fit my core values of Curiosity, Kindness and Beauty,  I listen to TED Talks.  One that popped up was “How to Be a Better Human Being.” This ties to Brexit in that it was about a 50:50 vote, just like the presidency. What are your core values? Seems like that is the solution for polarization presented by this speaker.

One thought on “Brexit