Breakout Discussion on Increasing Women in CS
WHY? WHAT? HOW? – Where do you want to start?
Knowledge is answers to questions – Quintilian.
- AAUW – American Association of University Women
- NCWIT – National Center for Women and IT
- ISTE CSN – ISTE Computer Science Network
- NGCP – National Girls Collaborative Project – Connections
- ACM-W – Association for Computing Machinery – Women
- AnitaB / Grace Hopper Conference– Scholarships available 11/2020 summit Florida
- New Mexico State University – Young Women in Computing
- Microsoft – TEALS– connects classroom teachers with tech-industry volunteers to create sustainable CS programs.
Lessons / Ideas:
- Programming with Graphics
- Rosie the Riveter
- Dance Party
- Makerspaces and Bee-Bots
- Binary Bracelets
- Code Snowflakes – Frozen
- Scale the networking – best part listening to other passionate educators. Looking forward to seeing their stories. Hope to see action partnerships with NCWIT, Code.org, CSTA and the ISTE CSN as we all have similar goals.
- Setting the Right Goals – that is the goal of the summit. Tracking action is mine? Maybe that way UNT can build the social robot I will be needing in 10 years as my living assistant.
- AGile Programming for your family – How about schools? Feedback and Decomposition
Creative Play does not happen in 2D and that includes worksheets. Play is required to build curiosity. Watch James Taylor’s story and think of his sun. 2-02-2020 CBS Sunday Morning. Look at how all the animals get along on their Moment in Nature. Let’s all Plant a Seed of Kindness.