Or should that be PlantByDesign?
Think to Write -> Garden to Think -> Garden to Write
Make a Basketball Garden
Everything is about planning, having a plan A, a plan B …
… a Design Recipe … a Systems Model … a Flowchart … an Action Plan …
What is your goal? What do you want to do?
Where do you start?
What is your first step?
How do you improve your design?
Think Globally, but ACT Locally – SBISD Design Thinking Workbook
At the core of this process is a bias towards action and creation: by creating and testing something, you can continue to learn and improve upon your initial ideas.
- Design Recipe – Purpose/Data, Examples, Functions, Test
- Systems Model – Input, Process, Output, Feedback
- Action Plan – Collect Data, Organize Items, Prioritize Steps, Collect Feedback
- Math Problem Solving – Understand problem, make plan, carry out plan, check solution for reasonableness. (Sharon Wells Math Topic TE 19)
- Iterative Development Model
In October 2009 Students listened to Peter, Paul and Mary’s song, If I Had a Hammer. We discussed tools for learning. Students hammered holes in cups to simulate holes in their brain. This was connected to the theme of the year – planning and building their new school. I shared my ideas for a 21st century collaborative centered school with a focus on tools that build brains. Two years into the new school and the classrooms are still sit in a row, testing lecture focused. Yes, there are some excellent project-based lessons, but the focus is grades.
My grandson told me he used to like math in Kinder. But, now he doesn’t because of the worksheets and grades. So, I am looking for the hammers that will tear down the 20th century schools that are not working. I am looking for more laws to change, like the most recent math and technology TEKS. I am looking for schools that create dreams so my grandson as he goes into 3rd grade will find his work passion. If only I had a 1000 hammers …
- Watch as a student programs a robot to spell a word.
- Robotic Spellling Bee Student Lessons
- Dancing with the Bees – A line Dance