Or should that be PlantByDesign?
Think to Write -> Garden to Think -> Garden to Write
Make a Basketball Garden
Everything is about planning, having a plan A, a plan B …
… a Design Recipe … a Systems Model … a Flowchart … an Action Plan …
What is your goal? What do you want to do?
Where do you start?
What is your first step?
How do you improve your design?
Think Globally, but ACT Locally – SBISD Design Thinking Workbook
At the core of this process is a bias towards action and creation: by creating and testing something, you can continue to learn and improve upon your initial ideas.
Walk the paths of logic. Every outcome has its cause, and eery predicament has its solution. Every lock its key. You can go back to Paris or you can stay here or you can go on. – All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Design Recipe – Purpose/Data, Examples, Functions, Test
- Systems Model – Input, Process, Output, Feedback
- Action Plan – Collect Data, Organize Items, Prioritize Steps, Collect Feedback
- Math Problem Solving – Understand problem, make plan, carry out plan, check solution for reasonableness. (Sharon Wells Math Topic TE 19)
- Iterative Development Model
In October 2009 Students listened to Peter, Paul and Mary’s song, If I Had a Hammer. We discussed tools for learning. Students hammered holes in cups to simulate holes in their brain. This was connected to the theme of the year – planning and building their new school. I shared my ideas for a 21st century collaborative centered school with a focus on tools that build brains. Two years into the new school and the classrooms are still sit in a row, testing lecture focused. Yes, there are some excellent project-based lessons, but the focus is grades.
My grandson told me he used to like math in Kinder. But, now he doesn’t because of the worksheets and grades. So, I am looking for the hammers that will tear down the 20th century schools that are not working. I am looking for more laws to change, like the most recent math and technology TEKS. I am looking for schools that create dreams so my grandson as he goes into 3rd grade will find his work passion. If only I had a 1000 hammers …
- Watch as a student programs a robot to spell a word.
- Robotic Spellling Bee Student Lessons
- Dancing with the Bees – A line Dance