Teacher Entrepreneurs

BUILDING EDUCATION EVENT PARTY PLANNERS

Building ALFs – Applied Learning Facilitators

We need talent, we need it now, and we simply cannot find enough.
– NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio

Support a Personal Code Trainer for classroom teachers.  They have personal trainers in gyms for those who can afford it.  We are leaving too many students behind because teachers are dying.  Time for prevention NOT intervention funding.  Support retired teachers keep their expertise in the classroom by bringing unplugged code mini-lessons to every child. Be a Code Buddy.

CODE: Debugging the gender gap – Problem presentation great – solution not presented.

Bottom line – CS teachers need to be paid more. Businesses, but your money where your mouth is and support teacher entrepreneurs.

The demand for CS teachers cannot meet the supply. Time for “contract” entrepreneurial certified CS teachers to support multiple schools. Let the school hire a facilitator for the computer lab where the certified teacher comes in once / twice a week. Charge per section of CS or hour of K5 classroom CS lessons.

Teachers are asked to do too much. To scale CS need time to build the programs. When hired by a school, principals often overload the teacher with non-CS teaching duties, preventing time to scale CS K12. That happened to me so I had to retire to focus on CS lessons, such as Geometry Decoded with Mondrian Art.

This page started as I was trying to explain this idea to a teacher on the CSTA #CSK8 Twitter chat: Need classroom facilitators for lab time, and CS teacher twice a week with freedom to support multiple schools and flip lessons. I am hoping some young teacher like @wgrantsmith takes up this challenge, as I am retired. “I want to be invited to the party, not plan the party.” 🙂 … create the momentum that enables it …  like Hadi of Code.org shared.

That and the articles that are increasingly growing on the need to teach CS: