Learn and Build Collaborations at the CS Summit June 7-9
- Join the Code.org TEACHER COMMUNITY and Learn more!!
- Code.org Forum
- Sign up for PD at Rice for coding in algebra, science and computer science
- Spring Branch ISD Code Camps
Coding – Programming is a TOOL to help learn a process for solving a problem.
A TOOL to build critical thinking skills using computing resources.
A TOOL for Computational Thinking.
A TOOL to help kids Connect the Dots.Please join the ShART Sharp Shark Tank STREAM!
- CSTA K8 Computer Science Teachers
- K12 CS Framework Coalition
- Texas Alliance for Computer Science Education
- Code.org Affiliate Presentation at the Computing Teachers Network ISTE 2015 playground.
- Code College Rice Houston
- Google CS
- Eniac Programmers Project – How can this 2014 project be scaled today?
- Boston Public School CS K-12 Pathway
- NGCP – Lessons Learned Webinar
- NGCP mini-grant CS STEM Green Club
- Making it Better– by Jerry Davis Houston City Councilman
- Coding Corner
- See 2017 updates on Editorial/Policy tab
- Texas Computer Science Standards – TEKS
- H.R. 5031 STEM Education Act – the term “STEM education” means education in the subjects of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, including other academic subjects that build on these disciplines such as computer science. – write to get passed in the senate.
- Texas House Bills which died: (1) HB 3568 – technology applications course allotment (2) HB 3700 – Math and Science credit for CS (3) HB 3816 – grant program for promoting CS certification and professional development for public school teachers.
ARTICLES IN THE 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 NEWS
- Jan – Power of CS
- Jan – Trillion $ Opportunity by Hadi
- Dec – Diversity
- Dec – ISTE – Ways to increase creative coding
- Dec – What happened to Obama’s $4 billion for CS?
- Nov – Bridging the CS Education Gap – 5 steps
- Nov – Our City Duty as Techies by Megan Smith, CTO
- Oct – Women in Computing to decline to 22%
- Oct – 3 ways to use Game Based Learning
- Oct – Diversity Gaps in CS
- Oct – Crack the Code
- Oct – Accenture and Crack the Code
- Sep – How to build an inclusive CS Program
- Aug – Will.i.am wants mandatory CS
- Aug – Teach This Skill
- Aug – What’s keeping women out? Need to start mindset in ES – Same with CS confidence.
- Jul – Apps to make coding easy
- Jun – Barbie Game Developer
- Jun – How we lost the open web – Algorithms, Internet Diversity, HQ video
- May – Robot that teaches kids to code
- Apr – Learn to Code : Code to Learn
- Mar – 8 women role models in CS
- Feb – Women Write Better Code – Study suggests. I suggest we need CS project managers to expose more girls to CS, that teach and do K8 outreach. Get out of the mold of a one-size-fits all pay scale for teachers.
- Feb – Breaking the Mold with Go Girls in Utah
- Jan – IT happened – CS For All
- Jan – State of the Union’s Education – “I want to go easy on the traditional list of proposals for the year ahead. I’ve got plenty, from helping students learn to write computer code. The White House is bullish on computer science, but well have to wait to see the specifics of how that takes shape.”
- Jan – State of the Union Address Calls – “for an emphasis on offering every student the hands-on computer science and math classes that make them job-ready on day one.”
- Dec – Tech in Ed Code.org affiliate Profile NY
- Dec – Change the Equation – Counting Computing
- Dec – Misconceptions about CS by Pat Y.
- Jul – Why women in tech came to a ‘Halt’ – Girls want to code! Real issue is exposing girls to CS at a young age through the arts not shoot-em-up games.
- Aug –Digital Divas weave STEM into fashion and dance “At age 14, Katelyn Hutchison earned $10.25 an hour as a junior mentor.” – need to scale this!
- Jul – Most Powerful Video Game of Year – Would you play with your video game hooked son or grandson?
- Jun – What is Code? If you don’t know you need to read this.
- Jun – Debugging drought – Algorithms for Farmers – Start a CS STEM Green Club
- Apr – Why Coding is Your Child’s Key to Unlocking The Future
- Apr – Ken Robinson on Transforming education through imagination and creativity– “Teachers are there to engage and motivate and inspire people.” – Who and what is motivating the teachers? Put education funding there please!
- Apr – Code and the inclusive software quest
- Mar – Right Now add coding to ES Curriculum
- Mar – To Boost Tech Diversity K-12 Schools Need to Teach Computer Science
- Mar – How to Increase Diversity in Tech? Bring CS to Schools
- Mar – BBC Gives $1 million mini-computers so kids can learn to code
- Mar – Obama Has a $100M Plan to Fill the Tech Talent Shortage
- Mar – Apple $50 million for CS Education diversity
- Mar – Why doesn’t every school offer CS?
- Feb – Arkansas requires CS Education and House CS requirement
- Feb – National Core Arts Standards adds computer design
- Jan – To Get Women Into CS, S.Sandberg Launches Lean In Mentorship Network
- Dec – Coding in the Top 10 for schools.
- Dec – Deciphering the Code – why ALL Kids need to learn…
- Dec – “Need subject in school where students can teach themselves.”
- Dec – Students get conversation with Bill Gates
- Dec – White House focuses on CS in Schools
- Dec – This is why kids should learn how to code – from a marketing guy.
- Dec – White House CS Heroes Film Festival
- Nov – When Women stopped Coding
- Nov – Andy the Rover Robot … Next comes Tony the Teacher Robot
- Nov – Amy the Robot Party Scheduler
- Nov – Do you want to Code a Frozen Snowflake?
- Nov – Should we teach CS in ES?
- Nov – Robots that swim through eyeballs – control body robots with code
- Nov – Graphing Calculator used to code when no money for robots. – Did this in 1985 in Consumer Math; must in 2015 require coding calculators in all math classes.
- Oct – Should school mandate Computer-Coding Classes?
- Oct – Could a Robot do your job? … another reason to learn to code.
- Oct – Why coding for all more than a boutique reform
- Sep – How coding increases engagement, creates a purpose for learning.
- Aug- Health Map Algorithm: Ebola and Saving Lives
- Aug- Gender Diversity: Boys love computers as machines, girls see them as tools.
- Aug- Computer Science Education Act
- Aug- Coding in the Classroom
- Jul- Cracking the Code
- Jun- We Can Code IT
- Jun – Google $50 Million to close gender gap
COMPUTER SCIENCE CAREER INFO