Hour of Code

CBS Sunday Morning Easter 2020 on Leadership – I sure hope I am not a pain in the butt.
Houston ISD’s Young Women’s College Preparatory Academy students and amazing teacher Astra Zeno at Computer Science Education Week Event hosted by AT&T HACEMOS Peggy Lundsford and NCWIT Technolochias Jannie Fernanez .

Mayor of the City of Houston Proclamation
Computer Science Education Week 2018

WHEREAS, in a world increasingly dependent on technology, computer science knowledge and skills are crucial to every student’s education. Only two percent of Texas high school graduates have taken a computer science course, only 24 percent were female which consisted of only 987 being Hispanic and only 180 were African American; and,

WHEREAS, each year, Computer Science Education Week is celebrated during the month of December in observance of Grace Murray Hopper, a major female contributor to computer science, and to call attention to the need for improving and strengthening computer science education; and,

WHEREAS, during the week of December 3-7, 2018, the National Center for Women and Information Technology, TECHNOLOchicas, AT&T, HACEMOS, and the Young Women’s College Preparatory Academy will celebrate Computer Science Education Week by supporting an hour of code to educate students about computer science for one hour; and,

WHEREAS, the City of Houston is a strong supporter of STEM initiatives and commends Computer Science for Texas (CS4TX), and supporting organizations and businesses for its leadership in STEM Education and extends best wishes for a memorable observance.

THEREFORE, I Sylvester Turner, Mayor of the City of Houston,
hereby proclaim December 3-7, 2018, as
COMPUTER SCIENCE EDUCATION WEEK
in Houston, Texas.

George and TedE make me do it. I know this is crazy, but as I sit in my den after watching the funeral typing this proclamation and reviewing NCWIT Aspirations.org applications, I feel the spirit of George H.W. Bush. He stood in this very room when he was first running for political office talking to a group from the League of Women Voters of the Houston Area. I remember my mother saying, “He will be President of the United States one day.” What a leader and role model for our young learners. What a life of giving. May CAVU and the best ships friendships always grow.

HACEMOS -TedE was given a pin today. We DoPapert proposed that education must make room for the iterative development and improvement of ideas. That is what CSEdWeek is about. Making room in the school day to play with computational thinking. Thank you AT&T for sharing what you do so we can do.

Dance Party at Hunter’s Creek where my grandson attends … https://knorth.edublogs.org/learn/dance-party-hce/ #GASS

2 thoughts on “Hour of Code

1. Wouldn’t it be awesome if CS had this kind of press coverage the other 8759 hours a year.

Don’t get me wrong, the recognition is awesome. What this fails to show is the educators behind the scenes who worked to make it happen on each campus.

2. Yes, so right! Now to get that publicity. Need an PR / Advertising firm to donate their services. Or maybe get those businesses doing STEM Education promotion to do it.